The Sankofa Youth Mentoring Program
Two Locations :
BUROAK SECONDARY SCHOOL (Markham) Thursdays
VAUGHAN SECONDARY SCHOOL (Vaughan) Tuesdays
Programs run concurrent with the School Year
6:30pm to 8:30pm
+ Summer Retreats & Field Trips
Email The Program Manager at : PGMMGR@YORKREGIONAACC.CA
For Students Ages 12 to 16
The Meaning of Sankofa ……… “Go Back and Fetch It”
“Bridging the past with the Present
..Navigating the Present into the Future”
A Youth mentoring , Life –skills Program Rooted in an African Centered Rites of Passage Process, utilizing the Nguzo Saba ( Seven Principles )
- Collective Work and Responsibility
- Cooperative Economics
- + Self-Respect
- Building a strong Cultural Identity
- Promote Positive Social and Emotional Skills
- Develop Civic Engagement / Leadership
- Promote Holistic Health and Safety
- Promote Civic Engagement & Environmental Responsibilities
- Enhance Self-Confidence and Leadership
- Enhance Academic Performance and Self-Efficacy
- Improve Family Relationship and Conflict Resolution Skills
- Expose Diverse Career Options , Employment and Entrepreneurship
- Recognize and Promote Excellence..
- Demonstrate through mentoring that “ It takes a village to raise a good child”
A BLACK EXPERIENCE
- Field Trips.
- Cultural Foods.
- Black History ( Success Stories)
A SAFE SPACE for Interactive discussions on:
- Racial & Cultural Identity
- Current and Community issues.
- Youth Challenges and Solutions .
- How to Manage Racism through Confidence and Excellence.